Monday, December 6, 2010

Perceptions on Immigration: Are They Getting Any Better?

Today, in a rhetoric class I am taking, someone in the class tried arguing for SB1070, and it made me question if people's perceptions on immigration are getting any better.  First off, she failed to do enough research on the topic, and she only reiterated the negative sentiments on illegal immigration without back up her argument with logic and facts.  Secondly, she lost credibility with me when she faltered on one of my questions.  Earlier this semester, I went to one of the SB1070 debates, and a University of Arizona law professor deemed the writers of the legislation purposely kept the language vague.  I asked the girl in my class what she thought about the professor's assessment, and she failed in even identifying Susan Bolton by her name.

Watching this presentation, full of assumptions and not enough facts, makes me wonder if people cannot stop and think logically about the implications and true issues with SB1070.  I have hopes that a compromise will be a solution to immigration policy, but when people hold emotionally driven and polarizing thoughts on immigration, I sadly question if we, as a nation, will ever find an adequate solution to immigration policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment